Monday, March 31, 2008
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Saturday: I'm out enjoying the sunshine today, because tonight we're doing something very important ... Tonight is Earth Hour, and we're joining millions of people around the world to make a statement about climate change by switching off all our lights and non-essential appliances from 8 p.m. until 9 p.m. Even one light matters and you can make a difference!
See more "Earthrights" fine art prints & notecards ...
Thursday, March 27, 2008
And, speaking of March 31, that's the last day of our March Madness Fundraisers for Moki, Project H.A.M. and Lilly Lu. We still have some cell phone charms, necklaces & bookmarks left, along with cat greeting cards, flower greeting cards and Earthrights notecards & fine art prints.
We've raised only about $50 each for Moki and Lilly and $35 for Project H.A.M. :-( Thanks to our anonymous benefactor those amounts will be doubled, but we were so hoping to raise more. Moki's and Lilly's beans have already spent thousands of green papers, and they're still sick, so more bills are coming. And the anonymous benefactor is willing to match MUCH more - multiples of $100!
I know all our beans are short of green papers these days, and it's hard to buy a $15 or $40 item ... so I had an idea: What if all us kitties tell our beans that we're willing to give up just one bag of Temptations or a mousie toy they planned to buy, if they would make a small donation for Moki, Project H.A.M. and Lilly? Even if it's just a dollar or two, that adds up, especially since the anonymous benefactor will match your donation!
I'll start it off ... I'm donating the price of 5 bags of All Natural Temptations right now! (My mom says I need to lose some weight anyway.) If it's at all possible for your beans to make a small donation, they can use the PayPal button below.
Everyone, thank you so much for all everything you do to help all the kitties who need it so badly. Your purrs and purrayers are so precious, and would be all that was needed ... if only our vets didn't insist on being paid in green papers.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Monday, March 24, 2008
1. You have to post the rules before you give your answers.
2. You must list one fact about yourself beginning with each letter of your middle name. (If you don't have a middle name, use your maiden name or your mother's maiden name).
3. At the end of your blog post, you need to tag one person (or blogger of another species) for each letter of your middle name. (Be sure to leave a comment telling them they've been tagged.)
Unfortunately, my doofus mom started calling me 'Rocky Blocky' and it stuck like glue, so she says I have no choice but to use Blocky as my middle name. So here goes:
B: I'm Big, Bold and the Boss around here. (Staff: He's a Big Baby, follows our mom around like a puppy!)
L: I'm a Loving Leader. (Staff: He's a Lazy Lump who lays on mom's bed all day!)
O: I'm very Outgoing and run up to greet everyone who comes in the door. (Staff: He's an Obstinate Oddball, who sprawls in front of the door so no one can get in or out!)
C: I'm a Calm, Capable, Career Cat. (Staff: He's a Cantankerous old Coot who Carps at us every time we get near him!)
K: I'm Kind and very generous with Kudos. (Staff: Yeah, right. He gives us more Kung Fu than Kudos!)
Y: I'm the strong but silent type, who never Yells. (Staff: He's a big, Yellowbellied Yes Man, who does whatever the humans ask him to do!)
Okay, staff ... right after I tag Senator Henry Jackson Edward Graves III for the Middle Name Meme, as your Loving Leader .....
........ I'm going to Calmly and Kindly YELL AT YOU TO GET BACK TO WORK!!!
Saturday, March 22, 2008
The bad news: Lilly Lu's vet bills are now more than $3,000. To help mama Laura, who is expecting twins and just doesn't have the resources to cover vet bills like this, we're adding a new line of my mom's greeting cards to the Fundraiser for Lilly Lu & Moki. These cards are flower-themed ... perfect for Spring, and perfect for Lilly since she IS an Easter flower!
Please take a look and if you like them, we hope you'll spread the word. Don't forget, there is a kind and generous "anonymous benefactor" who is going to match the funds we raise for Moki and Lilly Lu ...
Here's just one sample of our 10 floral greeting cards on sale:
Friday, March 21, 2008
Yes, I called an urgent summit with presidential candidate Senator Hillary Clinton here in Artsy Catsy's hometown to discuss the fact that only one candidate is ready from day one to run this country and bring about true cheynge ... and that candidate is Cheysuli! Clinton agreed to meet with me at the Saratoga Restaurant, just down the street from Artsy Catsy's headquarters.
Unfortunately, someone leaked the news to the media, and the masses started descending upon the Saratoga at 2:30 a.m. I arrived at 5:45 a.m. to help the Secret Service keep the area secure ...
During the long wait for Clinton's arrival at 10:45 a.m., I opened Cheysuli's local campaign headquarters next door to the Saratoga ...With the premises secure, I allowed no more than 100 people inside the restaurant at 9 a.m. While the Secret Service strip-searched each one of them, my human artists Sharolyn and Suzanne and I discussed my strategy over coffee ...When Senator Clinton arrived, she ignored the crowd and came directly to me so we could get down to business ...
To her credit, she was most gracious, even gave me a few gratuitous chin scritches ... obviously a political ploy to soften my firm determination that Cheysuli must be our next President ...However, Suzanne and I pointed out to Senator Clinton that I was unwavering in my support for Chey. I cited a plethora of crises in this country that Clinton has ignored: Universal cat care; No Cat Left Behind; the financial crises of the cat middle class; the rising cost of cat food and nip; and the exhorbitant energy costs of keeping us warm. I pointed out to her that the cat middle class is the core of the American economy; it is the backbone of our nation and it can no longer be ignored. We work harder, we work longer hours, we don't take as many vacations. And yet our green papers are disgracefully dropping ...
"Hey wait! Don't walk away from me with that noncommittal smile on your face! I'm not finished yet ..."
Senator Clinton explained to me that she did not meet with cat leaders without preconditions, one of which was that I would not show up wearing my Chey for President tee-shirt ... so, being a master of diplomacy, I removed it before we moved outside to address the crowd.
Before her departure at 1:30 p.m. Senator Clinton and I gave our closing remarks to a crowd of thousands gathered outside the Saratoga Restaurant, with the Vigo County Courthouse in the background ...
All in all, my summit with Senator Clinton was a productive one, and I believe that even if after considering my irrefutable points she ultimately decides to stay in the race, she will at least turn her attention to these urgent cat matters ... Especially since I finally convinced her that I was NOT the State Department contract employee who breached her passport file last year.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
LittleGirl (tailed, right): zzzzzzzzzz ....
Monday, March 17, 2008
We know there have been many fundraisers recently and money is short for everyone these days. But if you could find it in your heart, and wallet, to make even a small purchase from our two fundraisers below, the impact it will have on Lilly and Moki's health will be doubled!
Let's make the most of this amazing offer ... let's all spread the word and make everyone we know aware of this ... maybe post it in your Catster groups and any other forums you can think of.
And, please ... won't you leave your thanks to this incredibly generous "anonymous benefactor" here in the comments? Such goodness, with no interest in recognition, is a rare and beautiful thing.
Cat Greeting Card Fundraiser
Lilly Lu is battling an undiagnosed condition. She needs surgery for bladder stones, but her vets believe they’re secondary to some unidentified condition and they don’t want to perform surgery until they diagnose the problem. Lilly Lu needs to see specialists and her mama has already spent $2,000, using most of her living expenses. Lilly's mama is expecting twins, so she desperately needs our help.
Moki has an undiagnosed "new" neurological disease that makes it nearly impossible for him to walk. His family has spent thousands of dollars so far, and the ongoing quest to find a way to treat Moki and to improve his quality of life is likely to involve thousands more.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Friday, March 14, 2008
Several years ago when Viagra was put on the market, I remember making the offhand remark that it was no wonder ED drugs were needed, since our drinking water was probably full of female hormones from birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy. It’s now a known fact that such drugs in waterways around the world are ‘feminizing’ male fish.
Think about it – we all take medications, some of which are absorbed, but the rest is eliminated by our bodies in urine and ends up back in our water supply.
Last week a major study was released. Not only female hormones, but antibiotics; antidepressants; mood stabilizers; cholesterol drugs; anti-convulsants; pain medications; asthma medications; heart and blood pressure medications, and a host of other prescription drugs – as well as over-the-counter drugs such as ibuprofen and Tylenol – contaminate the water supplies of more than 41 million Americans.
Only 28 of our water sources were tested, and all but 3 contained drugs; this included 24 major metropolitan cities. In
Even worse, adding chlorine -- as is done in nearly all water treatment plants – makes some pharmaceuticals even more toxic. And any pharmacist can tell you that combinations of drugs can be deadly. Finally, most of us are aware of the growing problem of antibiotic overuse creating drug-resistant strains of viral and bacterial diseases.
But human waste isn’t the only source of contamination. For decades, beef cattle and other animals for consumption are given ear implants of an anabolic steroid, trenbolone, used by some bodybuilders, which causes cattle and hogs to bulk up. We are EATING this drug -- and we may be feeding it to our pets.
Let me share a personal story. In 1970 I worked for a major manufacturer of this drug. One day a month, anyone who had never had any kind of a tumor was required to work in a building on the outskirts of the property. We were outfitted in “toxic hazard” spacesuits and helmets, to help prevent our bodies from absorbing the drug … even through our eyes.
Our job was place these anabolic steroid pellets onto cards and shrinkwrap them.
In two months – or about 8 days exposure to this drug, fully outfitted in a hazard suit, I developed a grapefruit-sized tumor on my back and two smaller ones on my thighs that required surgery. Fortunately they were benign. Over the next year I was repeatedly hospitalized, with several surgeries, for severe hormone imbalances and hemorrhaging.
We are eating this drug, along with anabolic steroids that end up in our drinking water!
How could this happen? Several contributing factors are: a) Water providers do not disclose results of pharmaceutical screenings unless they are forced to do so. b) The
Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I would also add: c) The pharmaceutical industry is a huge and politically powerful one. Why should they be concerned ... after all, new diseases = new drugs = more revenue. Perhaps they have a vested interest in our drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day to try to stay 'healthy'? Personally, I think the pharmaceutical industry should be required to fund the upgrading of all our water treatment facilities, and keep them upgraded as they develop new drugs, in order to assure that their products are not poisoning life on this planet. They can afford it. In fact, they could probably accomplish this by doing nothing more than diverting their massive advertising budgets to this effort.
But please consider that contaminated water affects not only humans, but wildlife -- and our beloved pets as well. Given that we cat lovers know that even a tiny amount of Tylenol will poison or kill a cat, how can the consumption of Tylenol along with a vast combination of drugs formulated for much larger humans NOT harm our babies?
In an article in the PetPlace.com newsletter, Dr. Debra Primovic, a
Even if the top experts have no idea how this long-term consumption of drugs in drinking water will affect human health, much less the health of our pets, I ask you to consider some statistics:
- In recent years, the number of
- In recent years, at least 30 new diseases have emerged: fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, Lyme disease, AIDS and many more. And severe allergies are dramatically on the rise -- have more than tripled in some studies.
It isn’t necessary to be an “expert” to strongly suspect that there may be a connection between these statistics.
I’ll stop ranting now, but this made me think of how many kitties in the Blogosphere have struggled with ‘new’ or ‘undiagnosable’ illnesses ... as well as how many suffer from cancer and other diseases that have long been linked to exposure to pollutants.
It also made me think of some of my past artwork, created when I did volunteer fundraising work for the Hoosier Environmental Council … again, like my cat greeting cards, packed away in my basement storeroom. This line of environmental images, named “Earthrights”, consists of both fine art prints and notecards.
I want to put them to good use, in fundraisers to help specific kitties whose veterinary bills are astronomical because 1) their vets have difficulty diagnosing their illness, or 2) who are considered to have a ‘new’ disease. I’ve chosen Moki and Lilly Lu as the recipients of this first fundraiser, which will run through March 31.
Lilly Lu is battling an undiagnosed condition. She needs surgery for bladder stones, but her vets believe they’re secondary to some unidentified condition, possibly even cancer, and they don’t want to perform surgery until they determine what is causing the stones and abnormal bloodwork. But now they’re stumped and want Mama Laura to take Lilly Lu to a specialist at
Moki is a new friend whose mama has spent thousands of dollars since July helping the then tiny stray kitty with an undiagnosed neurological disease, which causes him to have tremors and makes it nearly impossible for him to walk. The current consensus is that he suffers from a ‘new’ disease, and the ongoing quest to determine what it is and to improve his quality of life is likely to involve thousands more.
Please see the heartwrenching videos on Moki's blog showing his valiant efforts to walk, and read his full story, and do whatever you can to help his mama find out if there's a way this courageous little guy can someday run and play!
Please help us help Lilly Lu and Moki! A sample of the Earthrights images in our fundraiser is below. For each hand-tinted fine art print sold, $30 will be donated to Lilly Lu and Moki. For every 12 notecards sold, $14 will be donated.
If I were not in financial straits myself, with a houseful of kitties who are all behind on their veterinary care, I would donate
I cannot even begin to express my gratitude to all of you on the Cat Blogosphere for your warm hearts, magnificent friendship, incredible generosity, and the way in which everyone considers everyone else's kitties their own as well. If there's a heaven on Earth, it's right here in the Cat Blogosphere!
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Many of us are aware of the national media frenzy over the atrocity being committed by Mayor Vance Trively of Randolph, Iowa. He has offered a $5 bounty for each stray cat or dog brought in to be "disposed of". Click here for and here for more information.
~~ Immanuel Kant
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character ... he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." ~~ Arthur Schopenhauer
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being ... I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not better for it." ~~ Abraham Lincoln
"Until we stop harming all other living things, we are still savages."
~~ Thomas Edison
"If a man aspires toward a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals." ~~ Albert Einstein
"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men." ~~ Saint Francis of Assisi
"Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings upon them. ... Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."
~~ Albert Schweitzer
"As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot live together." ~~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
"When a man has pity on all living creatures then only is he noble." ~~ Buddha
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." ~~ Charles Darwin
"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by what is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?"
~~ Pierre Troubetzkoy
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~~ Mahatma Ghandi
"Ever occur to you why some of us can be this much concerned with animals suffering? Because government is not. Why not?
Animals don't vote."
~~ Paul Harvey
Monday, March 10, 2008
P.S. Stay tuned the next few days ... We're going to have a fundraiser for our new friend Moki ... with more of my mom's original art!
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Carnival of the Cats!
The Devine Miss Marilyn Monrex of Leslie's Omnibus
Please send purrs of peace, comfort and healing to the families and fur siblings of Matata and Miss Marilyn.
- Houdini? Again, big deal. Sox puts the famous escapologist to shame with his door-opening, teleporting, shelf-walking tricks at This That & the Other Thing ... while Cosmo, Amber & Cubby show you how to deal with sleep deprivation and switching to Daylight Savings Time.
- Oh that Jimmy Joe! Neither wind nor rain nor sleet nor snow can keep him from his appointed rounds ... or from the resulting paws for maintenance. (Is this why his blog is named Jimmy Joe's PAD?) :
- Weather, weather everywhere! Rosie asks What is that white stuff? all over My Cats and Funny Stories.
- But there are breaks in the bad weather: Momma Grace is a formerly feral who has become a ray of sunshine in her furever home at Momma Grace & Company.
- Ye gods, it's horrible! Ted confronts a huge telly dog over at The Poor Mouth!
- Feast your eyes upon Gracie, a beautiful tiny girl with a big heart - and even bigger feet! - at Manx Mnews.
- Just look at these beauties! Leslie's Omnibus shares photos from the 2008 Lincoln State Cat Club Show.
- Ahh, the blessings of simple pleasures. Through all the recent ups and downs at Sleeping Mommy, Charles has discovered the joy of being a cat in a sink.
- Financial matters are simply too stressful for felines, especially when they're running for President! Cheysuli laments this terrible truth after suffering currency exchange problems at Chey's Place.
- Speaking of finances, Leela's human tells you how to make a litter box in 10 minutes for $5 at Nathan Bowers. Might come in handy, since the acceptable standard is one litter box per cat, plus one extra.
- Here's some more practical advice from KC at Missy Blue Eyes, who shares with everycat an easy way to back up your blog ... while Faith Boomerang waits for their "green around the gills" mommy to assemble their raffle prize - a Kitty Ham-Mick!
- "Paging Dr. Parker ... STAT!" Dr. Parker wrote prescriptions for her humans' stress ... and now those those humans are heading out and leaving her with no head to sleep on at Perfectly Parker :
- Another kitty practices the healing arts: Nosey 's bedside manner is superb as she helps her mom recover from the flu at anniemiz.
- In a different profession, KT the Mechanic Cat helps out in The Scratching Post garage.
- Luna has become a LOLcat at CatSynth ... and now she wants a cheezburger!
- Downunder at Crazy Meezer, Anastasia takes a break from meezer craziness to show just how sweet and beautiful she really is.
- Humans aren't the only ones who can play poker: It's Vegas, Baby at White Picket Fences.
- Are cats ticklish? Well, Natalie's expression at Snowball Journals may answer this question once and for all.
- Another question: What's behind the curtain? asks Mini at the House of the (Mostly) Black Cats. Will she reveal all?
- After long consideration, Maus over at Composite Drawlings has decided whether or not she should kill Grammaw's carpet and furniture.
- Intruder Alert!! Denali and Isis at Nanashi-Inc have moved beyond carpet and furniture -- they're putting the bitey on a real live mouse intruder!
- With Samantha & Tigger on patrol, no mouse would dare to break into Life From A Cat's Perspective!
- No mouse left behind! In Two Erics and a Flynn, a grand outdoor adventure, Eric and Flynn drive their dad's tractor to Fat Eric's for a day of hunting mice - and rats!
- Meet Garfield, a beautiful bright orange ginger cat who has a loving new furever home at Last Conservative in Cleveland.
- There's more than one way to warm a cat in winter: Check out the happy tabbies worshiping the god of warmth at Logical Expressions.
- Meowza is on a roll at Mind of Mog ... but fussy Izzy refuses to stoop to such levels at iInfidel.
- While on a photo shoot, Diamond Emerald Eyes-O'Reilly, proprietor of the Black Cat Pub, issues an urgent warning: Digital scrapbooking may be addictive for humans! Diamond shares an inexpensive scrapbooking alternative to get your humans hooked on graphical fun:
- Did someone say birdies? JB has snapped to full small birdie alert at JB's Small World. And she'd like you to meet her big personal furriends Mr. Pony & Mr. Horse over at JB's Big World.
- I Scent You Not! It's all about smell at the House of Chaos ... and Frankette 'nose' all about it!
- Oh no! Here's another two scents worth! There are trials and tribulations at sisu ... Tiny got skunked! But, after dousings with a magic potion, Tiny is now in clover! Phew!
- Her Ladyship on a garden bench offers a respite from a world gone utterly mad at Elms in the Yard.
- Feline Friday finds comics and discovered hiding places for T.R.E.A.T.S. over at Dolphin's Dock.
- In true cat form, the little stinker Spectra the sneak is breaking the rules at Cascade Exposures ... but she gets caught on camera! Don't miss the full expose:
- Pretty Puddy at It's a Byootaful Life reveals the proper technique for getting pats & rubs, and giving headbumps in return, thank you very much.
- Forest is comfortably boxed in on Easy Like Sunday Morning over at Snow and Forest. While he snoozes, check out the three-day-old lion cubs on his mom's blog, Ailurophiles.
- Even though this post is about a German Shepherd, Allie's Answers would like to share with cat owners the concern that her dog's microchip may have given him cancer.
- Othello is taking Easy Like Sunday Morning wayyy too seriously at The Catboys Realm. Kashim needs your help in waking him so they can host Bad Kitty Cats Festival of Chaos today!
- It's easy all over! Go gaze upon georgeous China Cat staying cozy in bed on China Cat's Blog.
- Happy Birthday, Aloysius! He's inviting everyone over to Catymology to help him celebrate ... and there's food!
- Then dash over to enjoy Mycah Speaks, starring, of course, Mycah, now playing at TacJammer.
- Finally, all of us at Artsy Catsy would like to remind you that you still have a few hours left to help us raise funds for Lilly Lu's surgery, for Project H.A.M. and for the Cat Blogosphere's Cat Friends Helping Friends. Our Cat-Themed Jewelry Sale and Cat Greeting Card Sale to benefit these kitties in need will both end tonight at midnight Eastern Daylight Time.
Thanks to everykitty for performing in Carnival of the Cats #208!
Don't miss next week's Carnival #209
when the blogosphere's cat acts will stage their show at
This That & The Other Thing
(Rocky: Now can I get off this merry-go-round? I'm dizzzy...)
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Friday, March 7, 2008
Now I must turn to my work for the weekend. I'm hosting Carnival of the Cats this Sunday, and I need to prepare for the big event:
Rocky: Shut up, Fracas. I can squeeze everybody in for Carnival of the Cats #208 ...
Read Previous Posts:
- ► 2009 (41)
- Not Me Mancat Monday
- Switch Off Saturday: Earth Hour
- 200th Post Contest!
- Thrashing Thursday
- A Miracle for Miral
- Toes & Tongues Tuesday
- Mancat Middle Name Meme Monday
- Floral Greeting Card Sale for Lilly Lu and Moki
- Rocky meets with Hillary Clinton
- Two Tuxies Tuesday
- Important Announcement!!
- Easy Like Sunday Morning
- Please help Moki and Lilly Lu
- 13 Quotes for Mayor Vance Trively
- CEO Mancat Monday - More Cat Greetings!
- Carnival of the Cats #208
- Scrapbook Saturday
- Finally Friday
- Thursday Thirteen: 13 Cat-Words
- Cat Greeting Cards - CLEARANCE!
- March Madness Fundraiser: Cat Jewelry!!
- ▼ March (21)
- ► 2007 (128)