Thursday, November 8, 2007


We celebrated my human artist's 60th birthday this week and I, Rocky, turned 72 (in human years) last week. My human's childhood friend sent us this email, and we'd like to share it with all our cat & human friends who worry about growing older .....


13 Reasons Why Aging is a Gift
1) I am now, maybe for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometimes despair over the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. I am often taken aback by that old person who lives in my mirror (who looks like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.
2) I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon, before they experienced the great freedom that comes with aging.
3) I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
4) As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own best friend.
5) I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avant garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.
6) Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?
7) I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 & 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.
8) I will walk the beach in a swimsuit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will grow older.
9) I know I am sometimes forgetful. But some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.
10) Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or when a beloved pet goes over the Rainbow Bridge? But broken hearts are what give us strength, understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.
11) As I get older, it is easier to be positive. I care less about what other people think of me. I don't question myself anymore. I've earned the right to be wrong.
12) Being older has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.
13) And I shall eat dessert (and Temptations!) every single day!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice TT you guys!

Captain Jack and Sir Dante said...

This is a lovely TT - and Happy Birthday to your human too!

Tybalt said...

I think number 10 and number 12 are the best ones. Purrrrs.

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

That is a wonderful list! I hope your human artist had a happy birthday. She certainly looks much younger than 60!

Artsy Catsy said...

My human artist thanks you and thanks you, Dragonheart! You made her day!!

Rocky

Christine and FAZ said...

Wow I missed all the birthday excitement by the look of things. Welcome back to blogging guys - we missed you. FAZ

MaoMao said...

Wowie, what a wunnerful postie. So wise and inspirashunal. My Momma thanks yur human artist for a post she's gonna bookmark and read often. I hope yur human artist had a wunnerful burfday, and we Ballicai had a superduper time at the party -- thankies fur bein such wunnerful hosts!

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, warm, wise, and delightful host. My mom and I thank your human artist -- what a wonderful woman she is!

And thank you for such a great party! I'm so glad everyone enjoyed the tuna puffs.

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn.

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Dat's good. Life is here to make what we can of it and it's supposed to be GOOD! Yayyyy!

Tara said...

Bravo! Mom loved it..
Tara

Irishcoda said...

What a beautiful TT! And a very happy belated birthday to you both from all us peace lovers here. And we love your cat quote f the day! :)

Samantha & Mom said...

My Mom says thanks for sharing that! That was cool!
Your FL furiends,

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Yoor bean duzzent look 60! When dad sez i's hell getting old mom tells him "yeah, but consider the alternative"...

snowforest said...

Great Thursday Thirteen ~ wonderful points all of them ~ I'll remember them as I grow older. Purrs and love to Rocky and co. from Snow and Forest :)

Spike William and Angels China Cat and Willow said...

My Lap Lady really likes your list today - I am going to print it for her! I, of course, like #13 as I wish to eat Temptations every singe day!

Purrrrrs, China Cat

Mr. Hendrix said...

Wonderful list. Those are words to live by. I don't worry about ageing, I'll just nap more and I love naps.

I hope your mommy (and your house) has recovered from having so many kitties over!

Jimmy Joe said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Rocky! That is a good list. Momma says she might get older but she's always immature.
Your new buddy, Jimmy Joe

Lux said...

Beautiful way to view aging (Mom says, since she's getting there) ...

Happy Belated Birthday to your mom!!!

Parker said...

That was a great post - Mommy needs to hang it on the fridge!

Donny and Marie and Casey said...

Gurreat T13! We can't believe your human artist is 60 years old!!! We hope she had a gurreat bday!

~Donny, Casey, Marie

Karen Jo said...

Thats a great TT. I really like all of them.

Boy said...

Wonderful wist! Happy Purrthday to your human artist! Sowwy I missed the party and it was all mine Mummy's fault for wefusing to switch on the compoooter for me just because she's busy! What excuse is that? Sigh...

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Well said! I love the last one best!

Anonymous said...

85cc免費影城哈啦557557哈啦557557日本美女寫真集百分百貼成人圖片免費視訊173liveshowbobo線上遊戲Plus28論壇080中部人聊天室ut免費視訊ggo080苗栗人聊天室線上a片a片0204視訊交友ut聊天室906910204成人片卡通aa片子免費視訊聊天天下第一色站免費ava片線上看18成人avooo視訊交友90739免費a片aaaa片免費看貼圖片區52784u成人免費視訊美女台灣kiss免費視訊交友sogou搜狗音樂嘟嘟情人色網38ga成人49飆樂網免費視訊聊天室0509電話視訊聊天0401視訊美女免費影片直播網sex888免費電影0401影音視訊辣美眉173show影片免費視訊聊天區18成人avooo台灣kisskiss文學區免費a片080中部人聊天室85cc免費影片85cc免費影片