Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Wacky & Why Wednesday

for Cat Friends Helping Friends at the Cat Blogosphere
and the Rescue Farm
STARTS TOMORROW NIGHT!

Rocky here: I took our blog back from my human artist because she's totally WACKED out, racing around here so fast it makes my head spin! I'm going to tell you more about WHY we chose to help the Rescue Farm and show you some more of their photos ... while my artist cooks noodles & turkey & dressing & more food than even I could eat, takes pictures of our fundraiser products, creates more products, and drives an hour away to pick up the latest ferals she rescued after their hoohaectomies, then drives them to the Rescue Farm ... hey, don't forget to feed me!!

I had to put down my paw about these ferals; I could see from the look in my human's eyes that she wanted to hire them as staff, so I had to remind her of my corporate edict: No more staff! This is the mama of the last two litters of ferals my silly human rescued, and her last two kittens. No more staff from this mama feral! Here they are at the vet, terrified of humans. (Can't blame them.) But once they escape their police trap prison and see their new home on the 40-acre Rescue Farm and meet their new mom & dad Jodi and Matt, these kitties will be happy campers!
The fact that the Rescue Farm helps us take care of feral kitties in our city is only one of the reasons we want to help them. The fact that they give a good home to cats and dogs that are sick or injured or special-needs is another reason. That they've found loving homes so far this year for more than 700 cats & dogs is another. But a big reason is that they NEED help!

Jodi told my mom, "We all know people don't go into animal rescue for the money. We're a 501(c)(3) non-profit so donations are tax deductible, but not having "humane society" or "animal shelter" in our name makes it hard to get donations. Nearly all our income is from adoption fees. Money is always tight."

Each cat they rescue is spayed/neutered, vaccinated, wormed, flea-treated and tested for Felv/HIV -- costing $60. Their cat adoption fee is $60. And this doesn't include food, shelter, medications or surgeries.

Jodi says, "We love cats, and there are so many cats euthanized just because there isn't enough room for them in shelters. We'll never stop rescuing kitties, but we can't possibly recoup the money we spend on their care. We rely on dog adoptions to help pay for cat rescue." Each dog costs $100-$200 to prepare for adoption, and their dog adoption fees are $150-$400, which doesn't cover heartworm treatments or vet care for malnourished, ill, or dogs hit by cars, which Jodi sadly says is "thousands upon thousands."

Last year Jodi & Matt spent $120,000 to operate the Rescue Farm. They brought in $104,000. "Didn't quite make it," Jodi said.

But in spite of their financial struggles, I saw Jodi's face light up as she explained, "Don't get me wrong - we love doing rescue; it's something we'll never give up without a fight. Spending each day helping those who give unconditional love is the most amazing feeling in the world. Working with animals who, on their own, would never have survived, is an incredible gift! We try to make life for our babies "like home" here, but our goal is to find dedicated, compassionate adopters to give our animals a true home so we can bring in more whose 'clocks are ticking'."

I saw Jodi shake her head and lament,"You know, we, as a society, live in a throw-away world. We buy something, then when a newer one comes out, we toss the old and buy the new. We do this with computers and cell phones. We do this with cars and furniture and clothes. Why are we doing this with our pets? What kind of people would do this to their pets?"

And that's why I'm so glad my human artists are helping the Rescue Farm ... and why so many of you, my blogging friends, are joining us in helping them. I mean, it's "There but for the grace of God go I." If my mom hadn't rescued all of us when we were tossed out, I wouldn't be here today and neither would my staff. ... Hmm ... maybe I should rethink that "No more staff" policy ....

Update 8:30 p.m. ....
My human artist just got back from taking the fixed ferals (Fixed? They ain't broke!) to their new home at the Rescue Farm ... and she smells like a barnyard! I'm sitting here waiting for my dinner, and she was out there giving treats to the blind horse Jeremiah, and his seeing eye cow Two Percent. Just look at her making that silly awwwww face and feeding those things treats bigger than my head!!

And if that's not bad enough, this Rescue Farm resident, Alice, got in my human artist's Jeep and tried to come back to Artsy Catsy! I saaaid .... "NO MORE STAFF!!"

8 comments:

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

The Rescue Farm is such a wonderful organization, and all of you at Artsy Catsy are so generous to be helping them. Can't wait to see what products you are going to have for sale!

Anonymous said...

I think that you have plenty of staff right now. After all, one human can only serve so many cats--no matter how many more needy there are.

Unknown said...

This seems like a great organization!

Jimmy Joe said...

That sounds like a great place, Rocky. You are a good manager, making sure that your momma doesn't bring home extra staff. Check out my bloggie--my momma feed gi-normous birdies from her hands!!!
Your buddy, Jimmy Joe

Hot(M)BC said...

Oh man, we can so relate to no more staff. But Grandma and Mommy brought a friend cat to visit for Fanksgiving! EEEEK!
We hope alla yall haf a reaaly Happy Fanksgiving!
Purrrrrrrrrs!
Sanjee, Boni Maroni, Mini, Gree and Pepi

Mickey's Musings said...

The Rescue Farm sounds like a wonderful place and the owners are wonderful people. It is sad people throw away pets in this throw away world. But sometimes they do not treat other people very nice either.Sadly,humankind has a long way to go:(
However with fundraisers like this,you can help make a difference and that's what it's about!! :)
Perfect for Thanksgiving to :)

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀PRETTY GIRL 台北酒店經紀人 ,酒店經紀 酒店兼差PRETTY GIRL酒店公關 酒店小姐 彩色爆米花酒店兼職,酒店工作 彩色爆米花禮服店, 酒店上班,酒店工作 PRETTY GIRL酒店喝酒酒店上班 彩色爆米花台北酒店酒店小姐 PRETTY GIRL酒店上班酒店打工PRETTY GIRL酒店打工酒店經紀 彩色爆米花

Anonymous said...

85cc免費影城哈啦557557哈啦557557日本美女寫真集百分百貼成人圖片免費視訊173liveshowbobo線上遊戲Plus28論壇080中部人聊天室ut免費視訊ggo080苗栗人聊天室線上a片a片0204視訊交友ut聊天室906910204成人片卡通aa片子免費視訊聊天天下第一色站免費ava片線上看18成人avooo視訊交友90739免費a片aaaa片免費看貼圖片區52784u成人免費視訊美女台灣kiss免費視訊交友sogou搜狗音樂嘟嘟情人色網38ga成人49飆樂網免費視訊聊天室0509電話視訊聊天0401視訊美女免費影片直播網sex888免費電影0401影音視訊辣美眉173show影片免費視訊聊天區18成人avooo台灣kisskiss文學區免費a片080中部人聊天室85cc免費影片85cc免費影片