Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Troubled Tummy Tuesday

** Scroll down for update **

Callie: If it's not one thing, it's another. First I had to keep going to the vet to get stabbed because I'm so skinny. Now I have to go back to the vet today because I have a problem with ... ((blush ... how humiliating)) my nipple. My mom noticed a lump on my tummy a few days ago and when I finally let her look at it, my nipple was all hard and black. And I guess I've been trying to fix it myself, because last night the skin around it started bleeding. What on earth does an 18-year-old ladycat need with nipples anyway? No, scritches will NOT help. I'm 18 years old, I'm skinny, my nipple is bleeding, I have to put up with Rocky and all these other cats, I have to keep going to the vet ... I'd say I have a right to be grumpy! If it weren't for the fact that I now get special high-calorie kitten food, tuna-flavored senior kitty vitamin treats, digestive enzymes and all the bean food I want ... I'd really be grumpy!

(From Callie's mom: I'm very worried about this, especially that it might be cancer. Has anyone had a similar problem with your cat?)

Update from Callie's mom: By the time we saw the vet, Callie's entire lower tummy had turned bright pink and she has 2 degrees of fever. Dr. Shew thinks she has just scratched her nipple and it's gotten infected. He gave her a shot of antibiotics, filed her claws to nubs so she can't scratch it, and is having me put cortisone cream on it, plus he gave me some Hill's Hypoallergenic Treats for cats with skin conditions. He said I should start seeing improvement after 48 hours, but if it gets any worse I'm to take her back in right away, and if it isn't significantly improved by Monday I'm to take her back in then. In the meantime, I have to keep her isolated from the other cats. But the good news is, Dr. Shew says he's confident it isn't cancer.

Callie also has a few scabby places elsewhere on her body and she's been scratching and licking obsessively. She sometimes has allergy problems this time of year, but Dr. Shew doesn't want to give her steroids 1) because she has a fever; 2) because of her age and 3) because they'll make her retain water and we won't be able to monitor her weight loss or gain.

I'm hoping that if we can get this under control, we might find out that her weight loss is just due to allergies.

Thanks to all of your for your advice and support!

31 comments:

Niko and Cloud said...

I would be worried too. I would definitely recommend an Xray or scan of her tummy. Weight loss was the first thing we noticed with Texas' lymphoma too, well before the lump was found. But hopefully the lump is something benign and unrelated, and she just has absorption issues. We will pray for the best!

Jans Funny Farm said...

We will purr for the best too. We hope Callie will be okay.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Der is a kitty at da shelter dat had a be-nine lump unner one of her nipples. Because da lump sorta cut off sir-cue-lashon da nipple turned kinda bluish-black. She's only 2 years old and is now one nipple short. It was a simple thing and we will purray dat it's dat simple fur Callie...cuz anything else is not akseptable!

Daisy said...

A few years ago, Pixie had a lump in one of her nipples and also some discharge. They removed the entire nipple and skin around it and did a biopsy, but it came back benign. She had another one about a year later, and they just used a syringe to take out some of the fluid for examination. I hope Callie's will also just be some benign growth.

PB 'n J said...

We're hoping and purring for good news Callie!

Parker said...

We just hope that it is some benign growth!
Purrs and hugs to Calle!

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

We are purring for Callie. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Carolina Cats said...

Sending purrs & hugs to Miss Callie.

Finny Buddy & Jasmine

KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

Lots of purrs for Callie. Keep us posted.
She is certainly a beauty for being a senior cat, isn't she.

The Island Cats said...

We hope it's nothing serious, Callie! We're purraying for you! It's tough getting old, isn't it??

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear Callie, you should have brought it to your Mommas attention earlier! Mommas are there to help you, you should know that by now silly billy..
We is puuring mega much that everything will be ok and it is just something minor:))

Healing meows
Vic

Kaltsas Kats said...

Hopefully the nipple problem isn't important. No real need for the nipple, there are plenty more to go around.
-Patches and Nemo

Dr Tweety of da Fab Five said...

Dear Callie,
We iz sorry dats you iz grumpy & skinny & hazzin problemz wit your lady parts. We reely hopes dat da V-E-T can help. I don'ts know abouts deze lady partsez but I yam sure dats it will be OK. 'Cuz all of us & da restee of da bloggospear iz purrin' fur you.
-Love, Dr Tweety

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

We're purring for you Callie that it is nothing serious.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Didja go to da vet Callie? Did dey make it all okay?

Honey P. Sunshine said...

nose kisses callie

The Florida Furkids said...

Purrs and purrayers for Callie. We hope it is just something simple and easy to fix.

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

Quill and Greyson said...

Poor old kitty! Glad it isn't cancer allergies would seem to make sense.

SophieKitty said...

Oh, Callie. I'm sorry you don't feel good. I'm purrin' for you.

Moki The Wobbly Cat said...

Thats awesome news...the first thing running through our mind was oh no cancer. I am relieved to know it's not!

Mickey's Musings said...

How wonderful that there is good news!!! I will send you some purrs Callie so you feel better very soon :)
Purrs Mickey

Meowers from Missouri said...

we's glad to hear that the news is encouraging. purrrrrrrrrrs, purrrrrrrrrs, an' more purrrrrrrrs for you, callie!!

Forty Paws said...

We hear ya. Poor ol' Bow is 18 and is doing poorly with his kidneys. His weight is dropping and he has trouble getting around with all of his parts giving up on him. Hang in there Callie. Being 18 kinda sucks, doesn't it? Hugs and purrs to you.

Luf, Us

Katiez Furry Mewz said...

Oh Callie, we iz purrin fur you!! We knohs what its like to puts up wif boy kitties!!

N Mawmee says mazeltov fur bein 18 years old!! You go, Gurl!!

Get Well Soon!

Luv,
KatieToo.

Peggy's Place said...

Hey Callie
Seems to be the in thing to do. Go to the Vet. We are glad your results are good, that's so comforting for your mom.
lots of Purrs

Karen Jo said...

I am so glad that it turned out to be just an infection and not something really bad. It would be great if all of Callie's problems turned out to be allergies and there was something you could give her for them. Then she could get back to feeling good again.

Anonymous said...

Purrs for you Callie. You be a good girl and eat all your food and let your medicines work. The Woman and I hope you enjoy all the extra lovin you are surely getting from your moms!
Smoochies from bof of us :-)

Everycat said...

Oh Callie, poor girl, I sympathise, gettng older is no fun at all. We will all send you lots of purrs to help you get over the infection and get the allergies under control

*saucey purrs*

Angel

Lux said...

I was really glad to read you update, and I hope Callie improves every single day. Ninna has allergies also, and she does the scratching and licking.

Best wishes, Callie!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀PRETTY GIRL 台北酒店經紀人 ,酒店經紀 酒店兼差PRETTY GIRL酒店公關 酒店小姐 彩色爆米花酒店兼職,酒店工作 彩色爆米花禮服店, 酒店上班,酒店工作 PRETTY GIRL酒店喝酒酒店上班 彩色爆米花台北酒店酒店小姐 PRETTY GIRL酒店上班酒店打工PRETTY GIRL酒店打工酒店經紀 彩色爆米花

Anonymous said...

85cc免費影城哈啦557557哈啦557557日本美女寫真集百分百貼成人圖片免費視訊173liveshowbobo線上遊戲Plus28論壇080中部人聊天室ut免費視訊ggo080苗栗人聊天室線上a片a片0204視訊交友ut聊天室906910204成人片卡通aa片子免費視訊聊天天下第一色站免費ava片線上看18成人avooo視訊交友90739免費a片aaaa片免費看貼圖片區52784u成人免費視訊美女台灣kiss免費視訊交友sogou搜狗音樂嘟嘟情人色網38ga成人49飆樂網免費視訊聊天室0509電話視訊聊天0401視訊美女免費影片直播網sex888免費電影0401影音視訊辣美眉173show影片免費視訊聊天區18成人avooo台灣kisskiss文學區免費a片080中部人聊天室85cc免費影片85cc免費影片